God's obligation & YOUR choice

Did you catch it? Look at the picture again, read each word carefully. What you will find is a common issue of discussion: what is truth?

I have had the privilege of speaking to a few atheists and a few theists about important topics lately. Most importantly, we have all attempted to define truth; is it solely based on the Bible, is it completely based on science, or does everyone's truth change subject to their personal standpoint? This picture for me says 1000 words, in that many people claim they have the truth, many others claim they have the whole truth, and some attempt to auditorally blast you with everything but the truth. So where is the common ground?

I will propose that my views have been somewhat arrogant of late. My attempt to permeate the twitter empire with positive messages about who God is has been what I expected, but the result is what is surprisingly different. I believed initially that I would help change people's attitude towards seeking God, but instead my attitude has changed. I went in confident, and somewhat arrogant about my beliefs, and I'm now coming out, albeit only a few days later, with a new sense of humility.

Prior contention: atheists and agnostics are only choosing not to see God, but if they tried they would find Him.

While this might seem true to many Christians I know, the fact that echoes through our history is that God show us who He is through REVELATION, not through our research. A great example of this comes from the Old Testament prophecies about the messiah. Through revelation, we can look back with the knowledge of the New Testament and see things we would be previously unable to see. Unless of course we think ourselves smarter than the pharisees, who spent their whole lives studying the law and trying to gain as much knowledge as they could.

The word of God speaks the truth to those whom Gas has revealed himself. This is in contrast to the truth that most atheists and agnostics claim through science. Stepping in either side's shoes with an open mind can help one understand points of views, so long as the term "if" remains. For example, "if" God is real, and the Bible says that He reveals himself when and to whom He pleases, it is then logical for theists to have a belief in him. Also, "if" science is ultimately accurate and without flaw, and there is a pattern of precise answers that can be seen by anyone who test them, it is them logical for people to belief that science is truth.

Please do not read anything into the questions I'm about to ask: Is science without flaw? What about the "missing links" that were considered fact and taught in public schools as such? What about the carbon dating system that has since been replaced by "Radioactive Isotope Dating", which is now considered "fact" and accepted as such, even taught in public schools? What about the "fact" that the world was flat, or that the Sun revolved around the earth?

As some atheists ask similar questions about God, I have to keep in mind that what I can know is not what they know. My life has been touched by divine revelation, mostly based on faith. Why shouldn't it be? I am astounded that some hold that we used to be monkeys millions of years ago, especially when I look at the created world. Think about what I feel (not what you know, I'm trying to be clear on that point): I see my wife and my son, two anatomically correct people, with personalities, emotions, and who demonstrate love in a real way, even when I am a jerk. To me, there is no science to test that, there are no instruments to measure their capacity to forgive. In my mind, it was and still is logical to believe in a creator behind that beauty.

So I opened my heart to it, and searched. Here is what I was blessed to find. God is real, and has revealed himself to me in many numerous ways. Yet, what God has done in my life is only in my life, and cannot be fathomed by anyone else.

My NEW contention: God chooses to whom He will reveal himself, and He is not obligated to do anything else.

But doesn't that mean that He isn't loving? Is that fair? Well, my friend, life isn't fair. Just ask the people who are murdered, those who are bombed mercilessly in the middle east, those who die in earthquakes and tsunamis.

The fallacy lies in believing that God doesn't exist simply because those things happen. Bad things happen to me too.

Not everyone will go to heaven. Not everyone will see God until Jesus returns. Not everyone will have access to the truth, but that's not for me to decide. However, the Bible says that YOU have a chance to see God. He can and will reveal himself to you, but it will only be on His terms, and "if" God does exist, and "if" he embodies truth, then He is not obligated to do it your way. Or mine...

Deuteronomy 29:29 - The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.

1 Samuel 2:27 - Now a man of God came to Eli and said to him, "This is what the Lord says: Did I not clearly reveal myself to your father's house when they were in Egypt under Pharaoh?"

1 Samuel 3:21 - The Lord continued to appear at Shiloh, and there he revealed himself to Samuel through his word.

Matthew 11:25-27 - At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those whom the Son chooses to reveal him."

Romans 1:17 - For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!!!!

1 Chronicles 28:9 - And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches every heart and understand every motive behind the thoughts. If you seek him, he will be found by you; but if you forsake him, he will reject you forever.

Matthew 7:7-8 - "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."

The decision is yours to make, who am I to stand in your way?



2 comments to "God's obligation & YOUR choice"

  • I think this is a good direction to be thinking. Many Christians become callous when they neglect to check themselves now and again with regard to their faith.

    It seems that the Bible is not calling Christians to be archeologists or linguists or experts on historical documents - but rather to merely believe. And isn't that a lucky thing for the believer! Because not one thing has ever been proven from The Bible.

    Science is now catching up in this area, with emerging fields like epigenetics tellings us that what we BELIEVE actually CHANGES us all the way to the GENETIC level. Belief has the unique ability to completely change our physical selves from via our non-physical activity. This post-modern scientific revelation supports what believers have benefited from for centuries: faith = substance, but not necessarily the kind of substance you can measure, or pour in a test tube. ;-)

    Here is perhaps a very distilled way to present this, your idea -
    Living in a scientific society, people of faith have grown to be ASHAMED of the fact that they merely believe, leading them to demand that their faith is PROVABLE, verifiable, supported by history etc. when those are not the case. The next wave of revival in the modern church must involve a "shedding" of that burden (of having to be justified by fact). Why? Because the whole point is that the believer is justified by FAITH. ;-) This is counter-intuitive, yes - but the God of Moses is more often than not, counter-intuitive (or as the Psalmist says "above our ways").

    In your ministry, you will do well to remind people that they have permission to be irrational, blind, fact-less, proof-less, and simple. Confucius say: "The man with no proof has no burdens."

    I wonder where the Christian's burdens might have gone? ;-)

    Be Encouraged.

  • Again Doc, your words are encouraging, so I will only say this: it depends on what you call "proof" when you say that nothing has ever been proven. For example, many historians thought that Luke was incorrect when he described certain pools in a city, pools that were described specifically, but no where to be found archeologically. Since those original skeptics, the pools have been discovered, so even man is revealing themselves (and their TRUE history) as time goes by.

    Secondly, I take another point of view with your (probably unintentionally) broad comment: if the Bible says that the fool shows folly at once, but the wise man holds his tongue, and then it actually happens in real life, then the statement has been proven.

    There ARE forms of scientific evidence available to support the Bible Mark, maybe you could check out: thetruthproject.org - this might help you find some.

    I still remember the time we played "So Fresh and So Clean" instrumentally as a warm up for that church...good times...

My Tweets

Current Favorite Song

  • I Just Haven't Met You Yet - Michael Buble

What I'm Reading

  • 200 Pomegranates And an Audience of One - Wood
  • Answering The New Atheism - Hahn & Wiker
  • Basic Theology - Ryrie
  • Created In God's Image - Hoekema
  • NASB Study Bible
  • So Great Salvation - Ryrie
  • The Bible Knowledge Commentary - New Testament
  • The Way of The Master - Comfort

Shows I Watch

  • Heroes
  • Lie To Me
  • Lost
  • Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory
  • The Big Bang Theory
  • The Office

Blog Archive

Labels

Comedy (2) Family (15) Friends (5) God (9) Life (8) My Thoughts (16) Nathan (12) Photography (2) Politics (2) Spirituality (10) Sports (3) Technology (1) Vacation (1) Work (3)
Web hosting for webmasters