Wow, finally...

eMPLOYment...it can happen to you!

Amazing. I have 2 new jobs, and I got them in 2 days. So on Tuesday I decided to apply for restaurant positions, seeing as how I'm waiting to hear from the Air Force (oh yeah, that's another issue), and no later than 90 minutes after I applied online at Applebees (yeah, I don't really like their menu all that much) I got a call and an interview the same day.

As soon as I left Applebees, I drove a whole .05 miles to Texas Roadhouse and put in an application. Crazy thing is that the person who opened the door for me to come in was the owner of the restaurant, and told me today that he knew within 15 seconds that he was going to hire me. You wanna know the best part? I can get benefits from both jobs after 60 days. This means that Steph, Nathan and I will all have Benefits in less than 3 months. Even better, they both agreed to set me up on schedules that would allow me to avoid conflict between the jobs so I can work both of them.

Now I must say that I didn't want to go back and serve tables again. Why? Because I'm 28 frickin' years old, that's why. I have a college degree, 3 years of professional experience, and I can't get a job for anything but commission only sales. Who was supposed to tell me that I needed a specialized degree? Ha! That's a funny question, since it's my responsibility, but I can say that I'm learning plenty of valuable lessons to teach Nathan along the way.

Feelings - I have been depressed lately about the following:
  1. No job = no contribution to family
  2. No future = haven't enrolled in school yet, since I couldn't afford it
  3. Every door seemed to be closed in my face = Police / Air Force...sort of...
The Air Force is a fun topic. I applied to join, but am going through a process now because according to their rules, you have to be in boot camp by your 28th Birthday, which I just had in December. So even though I'm overqualified to join, I'm 3 months too old to join. In the words of my good friend Fabiano, "do you believe on that man?"

I remain hopeful in the face of bad fortune that God will see me through this situation, as I would much rather be in the Air Force getting a free extra education, and learning valuable skills that will help me when I get out. To be honest, I have been doubting lately what my life is supposed to be, but it seems that I'm starting to get balance again. I just want to be able to move on and fix the mistakes that I've made, so I can start fresh.

So tomorrow is day 1 of my new phase: serving tables again. But this time, I feel like I'm contributing more to my family, because we don't have health insurance without these jobs in 2 months. If the Air Force comes through soon, then all will be solved, but if not, at least I have something to keep us afloat, and in good standing with our credit!


4 comments to "Wow, finally..."

  • Hello! :)

  • That is great news!!!

  • I heard some time ago that general degrees were often sought out. The markets and the times change. We make the best decisions we can at the time. Its not reaching a certain goal its walking with God the best you can as you head towards heaven. You've really stepped up to the plate. You're a good husband and father. I'm excited to see what God continues to bring about in your life. Sorry its been so hard - these are tough times.

  • Hey Chris, Probably very random to hear from me, but just wanted to let you know that I married an Air Force guy and you can apply for a waiver for your age. Technically if you are commissioning to become an officer you have until you are 32. Best of luck to you and your family. I know God has a plan! :)

My Tweets

Current Favorite Song

  • I Just Haven't Met You Yet - Michael Buble

What I'm Reading

  • 200 Pomegranates And an Audience of One - Wood
  • Answering The New Atheism - Hahn & Wiker
  • Basic Theology - Ryrie
  • Created In God's Image - Hoekema
  • NASB Study Bible
  • So Great Salvation - Ryrie
  • The Bible Knowledge Commentary - New Testament
  • The Way of The Master - Comfort

Shows I Watch

  • Heroes
  • Lie To Me
  • Lost
  • Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory
  • The Big Bang Theory
  • The Office

Blog Archive

Labels

Comedy (2) Family (15) Friends (5) God (9) Life (8) My Thoughts (16) Nathan (12) Photography (2) Politics (2) Spirituality (10) Sports (3) Technology (1) Vacation (1) Work (3)
Web hosting for webmasters