Extreme change

I started the P90X program about 5 weeks ago. Amid life's happenings I had to take 1.5 weeks off, but I'm back on track, getting ready to work out in about 30 minutes. I am doing this because I desire change. It's the same reason that many people make new-years resolutions, start diets, go back to school, seek out religion; change is something we all want to see happening.

Change is not, however, something that will spontaneously start itself, but more than that, it is something that requires an inner motivation, something that springs from the core of our being, crying out "I Want To Be Different"!

Physical change is great, and we should all try to be as fit and healthy as our lifestyle, jobs, and families allow us, but even more vital than physical fitness is spiritual health. The Bible speaks about a few ways to train ourselves up in spiritual health. We are told to pray: Matthew 26:41 - "Keep watcing and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." - Jesus Christ

We are also instructed to harness mental focus: Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

Often a neglected part of the Christian's faith, we are to read the Bible daily, as it helps connect us to Jesus Christ and His will. The Bible describes Jesus of Nazareth as God's Word (John 1:1), and later Jesus described the life of a Christian apart from Him: John 15:5-6 - "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned." - Jesus Christ

We are saved through faith, but the Bible also points to good deeds (works) as a sign of a solid faith: James 2: 17-18 - Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself. But someone may well say, "You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works."

The instructor in the P90X workouts is always saying two things that stick: "Do your best and forget the rest" and "You have got to bring it". Equally useful in our spiritual lives, these two statements sum up where our focus should be. We are called to spiritual fitness, and that comes from a life of prayer and meditation on God's Word, from mental focus, and from an addictive faith that inspires good deeds.

So what kind of change are you up for?


1 comments to "Extreme change"

My Tweets

Current Favorite Song

  • I Just Haven't Met You Yet - Michael Buble

What I'm Reading

  • 200 Pomegranates And an Audience of One - Wood
  • Answering The New Atheism - Hahn & Wiker
  • Basic Theology - Ryrie
  • Created In God's Image - Hoekema
  • NASB Study Bible
  • So Great Salvation - Ryrie
  • The Bible Knowledge Commentary - New Testament
  • The Way of The Master - Comfort

Shows I Watch

  • Heroes
  • Lie To Me
  • Lost
  • Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory
  • The Big Bang Theory
  • The Office

Blog Archive

Labels

Comedy (2) Family (15) Friends (5) God (9) Life (8) My Thoughts (16) Nathan (12) Photography (2) Politics (2) Spirituality (10) Sports (3) Technology (1) Vacation (1) Work (3)
Web hosting for webmasters